Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Let the framing begin!


Good news today! Framing has begun. Our builder, Chris, encouraged us to visit often because each day there are big changes. I hope we can go take a look (and take photos) tomorrow.

A little about the Craftsman Cottage style of our house. In the beginning, we considered a very modern style - boxy with big expanses of glass and clean lines. Then we fell in love with our old favorite, the Craftsman - at least it will look like that from the outside. The design of the inside of the house began based on duplicating the kitchen remodel NCompass did for us three years ago when we thought we were going to stay in our current house forever. We love our cherry cabinets (Baywood) and our stainless KitchenAid french door refrigerator and dishwasher. I do not love my JennAir downdraft range. The gas burners are great but I have never bonded with the gas oven. My new range will be dual fuel so I'll have my electric oven back.

I'm working on selecting exterior paint colors; the interior colors will be much easier to imagine when we have walls. I knew I wanted the exterior of the house to be a sagey green and I love the Sherwin Williams color, 6207 Retreat. While looking at Pinterest photos with that color, I found a blog called Life on Sunset Hill. The blog is several years old and is about building a home in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle. Unfortunately, most of the blog images are missing which prompted me to email the blog author, Cheryl. She graciously sent me personal images of the house so I could see the color. Yesterday Jay and I were in Ballard and I had a chance to see the house in person. A beautiful home and I love the color!



I just finished painting my studio Sherwin Williams 1635 Water's Edge and love it. I did this as a test to see if I would like that color for the Master bath. I think the Master bedroom will be a little lighter, maybe 1634 Santorini Blue, the same color planned for a ribbon of color detail as shown on the sketch above. The main trim color will be 6385 Dover White. Our original plan was to have the cedar shingles on the house be natural cedar color but I am struggling with the fact that they will eventually fade and turn gray so my latest plan is to just paint them the main body color. Any or all of this may change.