Monday, November 17, 2014

one color leads to another


It began with my niece Lanie showing me a photo of her bedroom color, BM Water's Edge 1635. She said it makes her feel happy. Happy is good so I tried to envision it for our new master bedroom and bath.   As I continue with this story, keep in mind that neither of the paint samples shown above is true to color but it will give you the idea.

As a test, I painted my current studio this lovely grayed blue and I like it a lot. But, I'm not sold on how the two large walls in the master would look in this color - I think it might be too much. How about if I use it in the bath only where each large wall space is broken with Sherwin Williams (SW) Dover White 6385 window and door trim? That leaves me still needing a color for the master bedroom walls.

Then, while playing with my SW color fan, I came across the color 6170. I love it! I do not love the name of it. As much as I loved the words Water's Edge, I dislike the words Techno Gray. Techno? Really? What is techno? Either a 1980's abbreviation of the word technological or a style of fast, heavy electronic dance music, typically with few or no vocals. Huh? I will refer to it as 6170 and try to forget the name Sherwin Williams gave it.



Would the master bedroom look good that color? I needed another test. My laundry room, which also serves as our back entry/mudroom will need painting before we can rent this house so I bought a gallon of SW 6170 and started painting over the gold/orange walls. Jay's first comment was that he missed a bright entry so I plan to paint the new house entry Ralph Lauren Mexico City Yellow (the color of our upstairs bathroom). I finished the laundry room this morning and both Jay and I love the color. However, when I stand in the laundry room and look into my blue studio, these two colors aren't great together for the master bedroom and bath.

SW 6170 is a little lighter and cooler than the color I planned to paint the great room so I think we will use it there with the main floor trim color, SW Navajo White 6126. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about BM Water's Edge as the exterior color for the french doors on our new house.

The results of the two tests:

BM Water's Edge 1635 - forget the master bath, use this color for the exterior of french doors. I will like the way the 12 lite panes will break up the color.

SW 6170 Blue/Green/Gray (Techno) - Great Room, main floor

SW match for Ralph Lauren Mexico City Yellow IB65 - Entry, main floor

I still need a master suite color. I'm eyeing our guest bedroom for a test!