Friday, November 22, 2013

Preliminary Post Its

I love Post It notes. I cut out little to-scale pieces of them to represent the furniture in my new studio and stick them on velum laid over our designer's preliminary plans.

I moved into my current studio 24 years ago. Originally a double garage, my then-83 year old father and my husband Jay turned it into a wonderful space for me. My father was a carpenter/home builder and we were blessed to have his generous help; it was one of his last big projects.

He built-in-place a 5 x7 foot worktable and storage unit right in the middle of my studio. It has been used as table space for students, covered in carpet for framing art and covered in plastic for prepping painting grounds. It was a surface to set up the Christmas choo-choo train for toddler grandsons and most recently was a platform for an air-mattress bed for one of those toddlers who is now twelve. The only drawback to the table was that I couldn't move it, and I am a big fan of moving furniture around so I'm looking at rolling metal carts as a substitute in my new studio.

One of the best things about the new studio will be a storage room for supplies and for my flat files. I'm planning on two work stations: a pastel easel and an oil easel. There are so many things to consider and I haven't even thought about lighting yet. If anyone has studio lighting suggestions, I'd love to hear them!