Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Roof Paper and The Swamp

12-16-14 Roofers!
The roofers have arrived. We are so happy!

On a another subject, I heard recently that the mill pond was not located where we are building. In the circa 1920 photo below (click to enlarge), I see logs, and I think I see a boat that was perhaps built by my grandfather. I also see a swamp. So, I guess I could rename our house Swamp Cottage but I think I will continue to call it Mill Pond Cottage, in memory of my grandpa and the early days on the lake.

Our lot, the swamp, logs and a boat, circa 1920
The family story goes like this: When my father Andrew Benedetti was a teenager, he worked with his father, my grandpa Fred Benedetti, building boats for the loggers working in the mill pond on Lake Sawyer. When pay day came around, the loggers were a little short on cash so they offered my grandpa a portion of the lake in trade. My grandpa said, "I don't want no part of this blankety-blank swamp!" And so, nearly 100 years later, my husband Jay and I have acquired the property for our new home, right where grandpa left it.